Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Rossetti Letter

The Rossetti Letter by Christi Phillips is a fun and fast read. It reminded me of a collage of books that I have enjoyed in the past. The story of Claire Donovan takes place in modern day Venice and feels a great deal like The Da Vinci Code because both the leading characters in both books are immersed in their research. Unfortunately, the love story is very predictable. The story of Alessandra takes place in Venice but during the 1600s and is very reminiscent of the works of Alexandre Dumas. The story of Alessandra as a courtesan reminded me a great deal of Memoirs of a Geisha.

The central story in the novel revolves around the “Spanish Conspiracy” which I knew nothing about. The story of Alessandra was the most interesting of the two; she loses everything and then is presented with the opportunity to become one of Venice’s leading courtesans. Between her transformation and her involvement in the plot of overthrow Venice, the story read like a fast paced political thriller. I enjoyed this aspect of the story a great deal.

I also enjoyed the modern story of Claire, but upon reflection, it feels more and more like a plot device simply as a way to tell Alessandra’s story. Claire’s research and academic involvement was the most interesting to me. Other than that, her story felt flat and predictable.

I read the book in little over a week and did enjoy it, but it is not the best example of historical fiction. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fast and entertaining read.

No comments:

Post a Comment