Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Confederacy of Dunces

I had the pleasure of re-reading A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole for my book group. Every time I read this novel, I laugh out loud, not something easy to do in a book. I am astounded that this novel has not been made into a movie. I kept picturing Ignatius as a version of George Constanza, not that Jason Alexander would have been perfect, but the characters are similar. I laugh every time I think of Will Ferrell as Officer Mancuso. This would be a great film and it would be freaking hilarious. The basic plot is about an out of place genius/crazy person struggling with the multiple flaws of society. He fights against society in his own way but discovers that fighting the machine is a losing battle. The novel really is very funny on various levels. It would appeal to all levels of humor for the very high to the very low, and I would know because I enjoy both.

Some of the women in my book group did not enjoy it until they of the book as a play or movie. Visualizing the humor definitely helps make the novel more fun.

If anyone else has read this, I would love to get more opinions on it and possible start a discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment