Monday, February 2, 2009

Pillars of the Earth

I have started Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I am only 50 pages in, but it is amazing. The story is fast, and the characters are interested. As I said, I am only 50 pages into the 1000 page book, but so far it is the story of a builder in the Middle ages looking to build a cathedral (it is more excitng than it sounds). I am biased because historical fiction is a favorite genre of mine. Thanks to Pat for the recommendation.


I love this book. I am about 250 pages in and look for a chance to read more all day. The character development is great, the good guys are characters that I care about, and empathize with; while, the bad guys are really rotten. Some of the characters strugle with moral issues, and it is handled perfectly. About 75 pages in, there is a truely heart-wrenching moment. It nearly brought a tear to my eye (and for those of you that know me, I am not a crier). The story is full of fast paced chases and exciting confrontations. In short, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Again, thanks to Pat for telling me about it.


I am about 650 pages into the beast now. This is an amazing novel. The characters are all intriguing and the plot moves surprisingly fast for a work of historical fiction. I find myself reading during every free moment and am disappointed when I get interrupted (lousy, needy kids, always wanting something). There have been several moments in the story where I literally gasp in surprise or sorrow. The story is fantastic because it keeps me guessing the whole time. I cannot recommend this book enough. I have already bought the sequel and look forward to starting it ASAP.


I finished the book on Friday, and loved the story. I cannot get over how real the characters all seemed. I really became invested in their lives while reading about them. I have to be honestly, I was a little disappointed by the ending. The last section of the book tied up all the loose ends very neatly, which bothered me because the book felt so real though out, that a neat ending felt contrived. I can honestly say that I loved this book, it is now one of my new favorites and one the best books that I have read in the last couple of years. It is on my short list of recommended reads. I enjoyed it so much, that I am going to force my wife to read it on spring break.

No comments:

Post a Comment